Pregnancy and maternity are the main reasons of hospitalisation among women in Switzerland (OFS, 2022). Specific insurance covers exist to help and accompany you through one of the most important moments in life.
Basic insurance (LAMal/KVG)
Basic insurance covers only the following (without deductible):
- general ward hospitalisation
- public hospitals in the canton of residence
- 7 examinations & 2 ultrasounds
- CHF 150 for prenatal classes
- NIPT if risk is 1 ≥ 1000 (non-invasive prenatal testing for Down’s, Edwards’ and Patau’s syndromes)
- 1 postnatal examination
Specialised supplementary insurance for pregnancy and maternity
The specialised supplementary insurance for pregnancy and maternity extends the basic insurance and offers:
- private ward hospitalisation
- single room
- broad choice of obstetrician-gynecologist
- broad choice among a list of private clinics and hospitals throughout Switzerland
- lump-sum bonus in case of birth at home
- extra coverage for additional exams, emergency transport, postnatal gym classes, NIPT, etc. not covered by the basic insurance
- breast-feeding allowance (as per WHO requirements)
Prenatal insurance for babies
It is possible to insure babies before their birth under a prenatal agreement. This is essentially an insurance policy for your baby taken out before their birth. It’s important to note that both the cover itself and the requirement to pay premiums begin on the day the baby is born and not before.
There are some advantages to organising insurance before the birth of your baby. Doing it before means the paperwork will be out of the way by the time your baby is born. Your baby will automatically be accepted for supplementary insurance.