Miscellaneous insurance

Miscellaneous insurance

Travel, valuables, pets, rental guarantee, etc.

Miscellaneous insurance

There are a number of other coverages available in Switzerland. Jenny is happy to provide you with full information about each insurance and exactly what is covered.


Medical costs incurred when you are outside of Switzerland are usually covered by supplementary health insurance. You should, however, make sure you always have additional travel insurance, which will cover you for a range of events, including:

  • Cancellation costs, due to illness or accident; a death in the family; car breakdown enroute to the airport; missing a flight due to a delayed train; stolen travel documents
  • Assistance during your trip: illness; a family member dies; your home is broken into/burns down; stolen travel documents
  • This insurance can also cover you for other events, such as the cost of concert tickets when you can no longer attend due to illness or an accident.



Pet insurance

Pet insurance insures your dog or cat against illness and accidents. Some providers also insure other animals, such as horses.

Cover can include:

  • Veterinary bills
  • Surgery costs
  • Hospital stays and emergency transport to hospital
  • Contribution to annual vaccinations
  • Euthanasia (when deemed necessary)
  • Other treatments

Valuables insurance

Valuables insurance is an ‘all risk’ type insurance that covers specific objects at a specific value. While contents insurance will cover your possessions against fire, water damage, glass damage, and theft, valuables insurance will also provide cover in the case of loss or damage.

This type of insurance can insure specific items such as:

  • Jewellery
  • Watches
  • Musical instruments
  • Works of art (including sculptures)
  • Photography equipment
  • Hunting and sports weapons
  • Handbags
  • Hearing aids
  • Fur

Unlike contents insurance, for which a general amount needs to be specified, valuables insurance requires the provision of a list of items with attached receipts or valuations.

Rental guarantee insurance

Rental guarantee insurance is an alternative to a rental deposit. Renters in Switzerland are required to supply a deposit, which is usually the equivalent of three months’ rent. Instead of leaving this amount in a blocked account for the duration of the tenancy, with rental guarantee insurance a tenant does not need to hand over a lump sum, instead paying a premium to their chosen insurance provider, who is now liable for the whole amount. The premiums are a percentage of the rental deposit.

Insurance for domestic staff

If you have hired domestic staff or are planning to do so, please bear in mind that by law, as their employer, you have to provide them with adequate accident insurance. The premium and coverage will depend on the number of working hours per week. For less than 8h/week, only professional accidents have to be covered, i.e. accidents that may occur during your employee’s working hours. For 8h/week or more, the accident insurance will also have to cover your employee during their free time.

Get in touch

We'd love to hear from you. Reach out today and let's discuss project options: